Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sumo

Our air conditioning broke this weekend.  We woke up to the carpet being flooded by the condensation pipe.  Of course we didn't know that's what it was at the time.

We called the landlord and event after event led to zero air conditioning.

We've been hanging out in the upstairs bedrooms where there are window ac units.

And at stores

And the library

And outside once the sun goes down

The repair man should be here tomorrow morning.

The good news is it was too hot to vacuum.  I picked up the vacuum from the repair shop.

So, while in the car we have been listening to The magic tree house series.  Secret Agent Man loves this series.

Their current adventure is a trip to Japan about 400 years ago to visit Matsuo Basho, a famous poet.

They travel along with Basho-san and see sumurai's, sushi and sumo.

So tonight before bed we brought up some sumo and watched it.



Special Agent Dad and I never went to any real sumo matches while we lived in Japan.  They were quite expensive.   Wish we could have.


Even if I didn't attend a match; I didn't leave Japan totally unimpressed by sumo.  

There was a street called the Honchu (Honch) across from the base that was lined with bars and food joints.  We would head out there for overpriced drinks and fun late at night.  

Japan is so safe that I would routinely be out at 2 or 3 in the morning by myself walking to meet friends or heading home.  You are never afraid.  

This night was a weeknight and it was after midnight.  

The Honch was empty.  

Nobody on the streets, a few people in the bars. 

I was heading down the street to meet friends when a very large and imposing figure steps into the street and begins walking toward me.  

As this man passed me, all alone on the street, I put on a frightened smile and with a small wave kept on walking.  

Who was it?



Oh, only Musashimaru Koyo.  Not just a sumo wrestler, a yokozuna.  The highest rank in sumo.  

This guy was massive.  6 foot 3.5 inches and 520 pounds.

I should have taken the opportunity to talk to him, have some conversation.  

What an opportunity!  

It's just that...well....you don't see that everyday walking down the streets of Japan.  I was unprepared and completely dumbstruck.

I'll never forget that night and I'm glad.  It's a cool story to tell Secret Agent Man.



No comments:

Post a Comment