Thursday, August 23, 2012

Guest Bedroom

I already showed you the dresser from the guest bedroom.


I had previously refinished the bed from a frame I purchased at a garage sale for $30.


I hung white curtains across the windows and door to the upper deck to cover the landlords blinds.


This mirror was originally purchased at a garage sale to place over the fire place in the living room.  It turned out to be WAY too big.  I thought it was nice in this nook as a dressing mirror and right next to Secret Agent Man's drums for when he plays.

I dragged up the surround sound system that Special Agent Dad and I purchased for our first apartment in Japan way back in 2001.  We hooked it up to the roku for guests to watch tv (and we watch movies up there occasionally).

Also, we needed LOUD music for Secret Agent Man to hear the music he is playing to while he has on his hearing protection.  The sound up here is amazing.  Try it out if you ever stay with us (pandora is on the roku)!



If this room were my own and not rented there are some other changes I would make.

First off, I would definitely get rid of the carpet.  Wood floors with a nice wool rug under the bed would be beautiful.

The built in desk is nice but I would probably extend the built in across the entire wall so it doesn't appear so off center. It would also get a lovely coat of white paint.

I would paint the walls a nice gray color with white trim and crown molding.

I am being conservative about hanging things in this house because it is a rental but,  I may hang some prints over the bed when I get to it.  The room definitely needs some love to the walls.

The fan. is. bad.  New lighting.

The window unit air conditioning is helpful.  The house is old, so the actual air conditioning doesn't reach this high and far very easily.  The window unit saves money and allows the guest to bring the room to their own comfortable temperature.  For me, it is very loud.  I would upgrade to a quieter and more energy efficient model if I did not  re-work the house for two separate air conditioning units (one for each floor).

That's it.  The guest bedroom.   This room has been very full this summer, we have had many guests!  I hope most of you get the chance to stay with us and use it!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to come and see all your work. Is that a door I see in one of the pics?

    ReplyDelete