Monday, July 9, 2012

History Museum and Texas State Capital

Secret Agent Man and I have been taking field trips every Friday this summer; leaving behind the work and housekeeping to get out and have fun.  Today we travelled none too far to visit the State history museum and Capital building.


We started with a movie at the IMAX theater.  It was a movie about pterosaurs.  Not exactly Texas history but it was a win in the boys under 6 demographic!  The museum was actually kind of depressing.  A lot of colonialism, war, slavery and oppression.  There was a cool exhibit about Texas music history though.  

Secret Agent Man and I danced to one of my favorites - Selena.  (See video below)




Also some other cool musicians - I enjoyed Isidro Lopez, apparently commonly regarded as the father of Tejano music from the 1940's.  


The very best by far - was this lovely lady.

Big Mama Thornton.  When I pushed that button and heard her sing, I couldn't help but dance!!  Definitely the better version in my opinion! (see video below)




I explained to Secret Agent Man how all of these contraptions worked!

Ancient Technology
We left the museum with a last stop at the gift shop.  Secret Agent Man kept trying to buy shot glasses, referring to them as "little sippy cups".

He is a proud Texan for sure!  Didn't take him long to convert.

My favorite bumper sticker was the Davy Crocket Quote - "You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas!"

The capitol building is just a few blocks straight South so we headed that way.  These admission stickers we wore on our t-shirts ended up becoming beautiful Austin street art!





This picture of his arm is some kind of optical illusion.  Creepy though!  He is not double jointed!


The trip to the capital building was actually pretty awesome.  The tour was free and the building is beautiful.  Our guide knew so much history and we learned a lot about Texas!


Inside looking up to the dome

The state senate floor

State House of Representatives



How's this for a Texas War Hero?!

Have you ever visited a state capitol building?  Use the comment section below!
I did visit Illinois' capitol when I was lobbying for the Child Safe Chemical Act.  The history and beauty there are amazing also.

No comments:

Post a Comment