Saturday, July 14, 2012

KGB USSR

So as you all know I have been very interested in tracking the audience of the blog.  I recently got an influx of readers from....Russia!

I visited Russia twice while in the Navy.  Both times to the same city, Vladivostok.  Vladivostok is on the Eastern Coast.

My first visit was in the summer of 1998, we were actually there over 4th of July if I remember correctly.

I travelled to many countries that year for the first time.  Indonesia was the biggest culture shock but, Russia was right up there.  We were in an area close to a local beach.  The first thing we did was walk to a theater where a local troupe put on a fantastic show for us.  They were doing traditional dance with music and it was amazing.


Imagine the dancing in this video but with about a dozen people and beautiful costumes.  I actually have some film footage of that.....I'll have to find it.  

Once we ventured out into the square (the beach) my adventures continued.  There were a LOT of people.  We were in uniform the whole time, so it was very apparent to the locals who we were.  We bartered medals and ribbons and hats for the same from the Russian sailors.  I ended up with a blue/white striped undershirt and a fur cap.  I don't know what happened to those.  I don't have many souvenirs from any of the countries I visited.

I remember signing autographs for little kids, bears with neck frills being led around on leashes, sharing shots of vodka with groups of men playing cards on the streets, and monkeys.

Ahhhh the monkeys.  There was a man walking around with two little monkeys on his shoulders.  One in a dress, the other in pants and suspenders.  They were on leashes.  He had a polaroid camera and was trying to make a little cash by having his monkeys pose with people.  My friend and I approached to watch from afar with no intention of getting any pictures.  

Well, this guy saw our uniforms and had other ideas!  He put those monkeys right on my shoulder.  I was kind of freaking out a little but before I could really do anything, that little girl monkey in the dress reached down and bit my finger!  I threw those little shits guys and the blood was pouring out!  People were looking at me horrified, while the blood started covering my white uniform.  I walked the few miles back to the ship to have it stitched up.  I still have a the scars today.  This little incident got me some unwanted attention for a while as the "girl who got bit by the monkey in russia".  My parents even sent me one of the news article written about this "international incident" between the U.S. and Russia.  

I think I spent most of the rest of the trip drinking vodka that tasted like isopropyl alcohol.  

During the second trip, Special Agent Dad and I were together.  We had dinner at a restaurant run by Americans that was about 2 hours away by bus.  It was a nice trip.  We stayed up late each evening walking the beach since the sun doesn't go down there in the summer until after midnight.  

I wanted to buy a few souvenirs since I knew this would be my last visit.  I did get a small stainless steel flask the was marked KGB USSR.  I thought that was cool and the vendor ( who had a table set up on the street) told me it came from the "real KGB".  

Special Agent Dad spent the rest of that trip looking for the bear on the leash that I had seen my first visit.  He never found it and I don't think his life will be complete until he see's it.  

Let's Talk: Ever had an animal turn the tables and try to taste you?  I can't be the only one!

No comments:

Post a Comment