Friday, July 13, 2012

Star of the Show

Secret Agent Man has always been very adamant about choosing his own clothes to get dressed.  Even at age 2, he had to choose which truck shirt he would be wearing that day.  It was mainly his choice in shirt that concerned him until about a year ago.

That is when he became obsessed with sweatpants.  He wanted to wear sweatpants everywhere.  We finally made the rule that sweatpants were for the gym and home only.  Not for school or visiting friends.  He didn't like that very much.

Fast forward to today.  He has since changed that obsession for sweatpants to basketball shorts.  No shorts that zip or button.  No shorts that have any kind of structure.  You know sweatpants - except shorter.  

As he was getting dressed one morning last week, I noticed he had paired a pair of red and blue Mario Bros. patterned (basketball) shorts with an off green Perry the Platypus shirt and black Darth Vader slipper socks.



Normally I wouldn't care because it's summer but, with him getting older I just want to give him some tips about dressing so that socially he isn't teased or embarrassed.  

Our conversation was very casual. I told him that he should pick one item of clothing to be the star of the show.  One pattern with corresponding color on top or bottom, etc.  You know, just the basics.  He said okay and found a different pair of basketball shorts to wear with Perry.  We went on with our day and I didn't think about it again.

Until this week.

He was getting dressed and thought something was just not quite right.  He looked at me and said

"Who's the star of the show?". 

 I was like "HUH?".  I did not remember using this phrase so I was totally lost.


He then explained that he would be getting those Darth Vader socks out and putting them on so that they could be the star of the show.  I finally got it and laughed thinking how cute that was.

I didn't think he would use it again.

Wrong.

Last night before bed I got some clothes together for Secret Agent Man's big day at work with Special Agent Dad.  I pulled out school clothes that he hasn't worn since summer started.  A plain brown polo and a nice pair of striped brown gap kids shorts that I thrifted.

He woke up this morning, went in to the shower and scolded Dad for not giving him a "wake up call" for work, took one look at the clothes I had laid out and said very loudly (waking me up)

"I can't wear that to work!  WHO'S THE STAR OF THE SHOW?".  


Surprised, I laughed under my breath in bed, eyes still closed.  I said "I really wanted to focus on you since it was a special day, I didn't want the clothes to outshine you, you are the star of the show.".   He did not like that very much.

What did he want?  Patterns, a Character on the shirt?  Maybe something obnoxious? (btw, he told me I was obnoxious two nights ago).   

He finally left for work, wearing the clothes I had picked out.  He only threateningly raised his fist once at a promise from Special Agent Dad (the instigator) that the green striped European style undies he wore under his shorts were the star of the show.

Let's Talk: What is the funniest thing someone has ever called you?  Obnoxious is pretty funny!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment